Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fixing the Airlines

I had a rough travel experience last week due to a combination of bad weather and bad customer service.  It  got me thinking about how to improve the customer service delivered by the airlines.  I've interacted with a few 100 airline personnel over the past 10 years, and 98% of the time they have given me outstanding (seriously, outstanding) help.  However, many of us have also encountered the rare helpless (or worse) airline employee, and unlikely a bad employee at Starbucks, this bad employee can really ruin our week, not just our coffee.  For example, I arrived at the airport an hour before my flight and the kiosk wouldn't print my ticket.   I picked up the phone, as instructed by the kiosk, and the person on the other end was not only completely helpless (costing me at least 10 valuable minutes), but she sent me in the wrong direction.  Thus one person ruined my day, and caused half a dozen co-workers  to have to make up for her failure.  This is simply unacceptable.  The airlines NEED to find a way to identify employees that cannot or will not help customers and get rid of them.  In many cases this is impossible because there is no record of the customer interacting with the employee, but, in my case, there should be a record of the call and a record of non-help.  They can take the money they save by not paying worthless employees, and give bonuses to the top 2% or top 5% of employees --- you know, the ones that FIX your problem.

No comments: