Saturday, October 24, 2009

Book Review: Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer

There are only a few writers that I will pretty much read anything and everything that they write: Donald Miller, Bill Simmons, and Jon Krakauer are definitely on the must read list for me. Krakauer's latest book is about Pat Tillman and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. I really enjoyed the background on Afghanistan and Tillman. Tillman is an ASU alum and I taught at ASU from 2004-2008 so I feel a small connection to him (I also feel a connection to Krakauer because I rode mountain bike with him for 3 days in Utah once upon a time). After the detailed background, the book focuses on Tillman's death and the subsequent cover-up. It is very well written.

Reading this book will make you more informed --- doesn't everyone want to be more informed. You will read about some incredible individuals, some frustratingly stupid individuals, and individuals that fall somewhere in between. I highly recommend this extraordinary book. Grade: A-.

No comments: