Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Quick Book Reviews

I don't know what it is about January and February, but they are always intensely busy for me, and I don't have as much time as I'd like to read or write reviews. Anyway, here's a few quick ones.


Unbillable Hours: A True Story by Ian Graham

A free book for the Kindle that I really enjoyed. The life of a young lawyer in a big firm does not sound even remotely appealing. I don't know how my friend Dave does it. Grade: B+

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
This book is generally recognized as one of the 2 or 3 best nonfiction/science books of 2010, and I would say that reputation is well deserved. Its not a page turner, but it is very interesting and should be read by all. I still think about the general bioethics question raised by the book: should individuals have any control over their cells once they leave their bodies? If my DNA or blood contains something valuable that some company uses to make money, should I have any rights to those cells if they were part of a blood donation. I tend to think the answer is no simply because we want to encourage companies to do the research, but it is not an easy question. Grade: A-


In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks by Adam Carolla

At times it is laugh-out-loud funny. At other times it is disturbingly offensive. I'd recommending reading about 50% and skipping 50%, but the good stuff is scattered amongst the bad. Grade: B-


Follow Me to Freedom by Shane Claiborne and John Perkins

Shane's first book, Irresistable Revolution was a home run. Jesus for President was a triple, and this book is only a double. But, a double is still very good. Grade: B

No comments: