Wednesday, March 6, 2013

First Book Review of 2013

I've read a few good books in 2013. Here are the short summaries and grades.

Tubes: A Journey to the Center of the Internet by Andrew Blum An interesting book that takes a look at the history and current layout/infrastructure of the internet. I really enjoyed the book, but wished it had been a little more technical. More information about packet switching and the TCP/IP protocol would have benefited the book -- IMO. Still, worth the read. Grade: B

Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas A very lengthy biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a theologian that was killed near the end of World War 2. It was interesting, but I wish it had been condensed some. I learned a lot about Germany from 1910-1945, however. Grade: B-

Life of Pi by Yann Martel It was good, but I guess I had unrealistic expectations. The real brilliance of the book was the way Martel made it seem, superficially, like non-fiction even though it was fiction. It was a nice way of demonstrating the power of a good story. Grade: B

An Unexpected Twist by Andy Borowitz This is a kindle short that can be read in less than 30 minutes. I loved it. It was funny while communicating the appreciation we should have for each and every day we are given. Grade: A-

No comments: